We are going to Oz this summer. Since it’s winter there and the average temperature is around 59 °F(15 °C), we need to bring some warm clothes.
- Clothes: long pants, long sleeve shirts, sweater, jackets, underwear, socks, shorts, T-shirts, tennis shoes, etc. Edited on 8-19-2014: It turned out that one set of the short sleeve is sufficient. There are not many opportunities to wear shorts.
- Need to buy new Nike tennis shoes for Adventurer Jr. II & III, because they have outgrown their old pairs. Cost $80.
- A new pair of UGG comfy lambskin shoes from Amazon listed for $78 cost me $0 with Amazon credit. They looked really cool. Edited on 8-19-2014: They proved to be very easy on feet. The most comfortable shoes I ever had.
- A set of collectible coins as a gift for a relative from Amazon for $30 with Amazon credit.
- First aids kit
- Visa: Applied online for $20 x 5 = $100.
- Sunscreen. Edited on 8-19-2014: Ended up not bring it with us since it’s liquid. Planned to buy there when needed but we got by without it.
- iPad/PC/Camera/Video recorder. Edited on 8-19-2014: Didn’t even need to use the camera and video recorder. iPhone/iPad was enough. For future trips, we probably don’t need to bring them anymore. It’s the age of iProducts.
- Swimsuits for in-door Olympics swimming pool. Edited on 8-19-2014: There’s a warm pool there.
- Luggage: carry-ons to put our stuff in. Also two big checked-in luggage for gifts. The limit for checked-in luggage is 50 lbs; Edited on 8-19-2014: For carry-on is 7 kg.
- Luggage belts
- Power adapters for Oz are 240 v; the US is 110 v. The power adapters we have right now are good for 100 v to 240 v, so we can still use these. We need to get 2 pieces of power outlet adapter that has 3 prongs for Oz though. We have 1 at home already.
- Currency exchange 1 USD = 1.06 AUD.
- The Time difference is 14 hours. Sydney is 14 hours ahead. That means when it is 1:00 am (midnight) my local time, it is 3:00 pm in Sydney.
Things to do/sights to see:
- Fish Market: only eat fresh oyster and salmon though. Maybe lobster. These are very fresh and local.
- Olympics swimming pool
- Food in Oz is organic everywhere unless otherwise noted. So I’m expecting to pay Whole Food Market price for food while we are there. Does this mean the Australians have a better standard of living? I guess I’ll find out.
- Sydney Opera House
- Great Barrier Reef
- Postcards x 7 for friends; stamps for postcards (Edited on 8-19-2014: $1.65 AUD for stamp per postcard); addresses for postcards
- Join tours